- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 cup water
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of Jasmine rice (to be boiled in 1 1/4 cups water)
- optional toppings: avocado, guacamole, diced tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream…you know, the usual
Get out your largest skillet and pour the olive oil in the bottom. Turn it up to a medium heat and add the diced chicken. While the chicken is browning, add the salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onions and paprika. Once the chicken is cooked through, add the black beans and corn.
Once the corn has thawed and the beans are warm, add the water, minced onions, and chipotle powder. Once the water is simmering, reduce the heat to low and let the whole mixture simmer until the rice is ready.
In a separate sauce pan, add the water and the rice and heat until it’s boiling. Cover the rice, reduce the heat and allow the rice to cook for approximately 15 minutes (you’ll know when it’s done).
This recipe makes 4 regular sized servings or 2 really hearty servings. Serve by adding the rice to your serving bowls or plates, smothering the rice with the chicken mixture, then adding the toppings of your choice! Avocado, cilantro, and tomato slices are my favorite.